Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Going to Church

Confession time.....I haven't been to church in months.

Last year I was so excited to have finally found a church home, Compton Heights Christian Church, was baptized and officially became a member. I love my Church family very much. So now you ask why have I not attended service in months...
Well my excuse is simple and truthful. I also love spending time with my daughter and husband on Sundays. Some weeks it is our only family time together because of our work schedule and Madelyn's activity/therapy schedule.

My husband was raised Catholic and says he has attended enough church services to last him a life time. We have argued this point many times but he stands firm and will not attend church with me. I respect his decision and will not nag him anymore on the issue. The church members have been wonderful when I bring Madelyn with me to service, however she spends most of the time verbal stimming (associated with her autism), laughing and trying to run away from me. Honestly, it is not a pleasant experience for me and I really can't enjoy the service.

My church is small and they simply don't have the room, staff, funding or enough children for a special needs ministry/children's church. I had hoped to bring several other families to Compton Heights that also have children with autism or other developmental disabilities but it seems they all already had church homes of their own. If anyone reading this blog that also lives in the St. Louis area, has a special needs child and are looking for a church home, please let me know! Compton Heights is a wonderful church!

So that is my excuse, I have been spending my Sundays with Jim and Madelyn either on vacation, weekend trips, visiting my parents in mid-Missouri, going to pool..... How about a 7am service??!! That way I could attend early while Jim and Madelyn are asleep and still have the whole rest of the day to spent with them??!! Oh, that is a different denomination. 7am mass, 9 am mass, Saturday evening mass.....

Rev. Jacque, the next Sunday it is raining, cold or we simply don't have plans, I WILL be there. My heart and soul are with with Compton Heights Christian Church. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment