Saturday, June 19, 2010

Damn that School District!!!!

Here I am, my day off yesterday and relaxing at the rec plex pool. I was even glancing up from my book now and then to admire the cute lifeguard that is half my age! Madelyn was at summer school, Jim at work...I was relaxed and enjoying a "me" day when I started getting cell phone calls. It was Madelyn's one on one aide at school telling me that she had been released from summer employment and that she wouldn't be with her for the remaining two weeks of summer school. WHAT!!!???? This is Madelyn's aide that has been with her for one year now and knows her IEP goals and implements her ABA and knows her special programs. What the hell is the district thinking???!!! I immediately pack up everything and leave the pool and start an immediate phone call and email campaign to correct this situation. I knew that if Madelyn had to adjust to a new aide and the new aide to her, there would not be any progress made in summer school and more probable there would be a regression. Regression is not a work I want to hear or have my daughter experience. She has had more than enough of that! I finally spoke to the director of special education late in the afternoon I was assured that her original aide WOULD remain with her for the last two weeks of extended school year (summer school or also simply called ESY). I however have my doubts so I will be there at the school on Monday morning to assure that this does happen. If not, I will be pulling her out of ESY and will just send her to all day camp for the whole summer.
If this districts wants to succeed (and apparently they do not) they need to give ALL the students, not just special educations, some kind of stability. There is constant turnover of staff and now the threats of lay offs. They keep the burnt out teachers/therapists that don't care about educating anymore, just there to earn a pay check, and get rid of those with enthusiasm and new ideas that might actually benefit these children. I wish the economy was better so we could sell our house and move to a more stable district. Right now that is only a wish. Right now I just have to say damn you school district, special ed director, autism and economy!!!! No one messes with MY daughter. NO ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment